Many common disorders such as Coronary Artery Disease or CAD, Hypertension and Type II Diabetes Mellitus are associated with high cholesterol levels. In managing these conditions, many medications, which include Lipitor are often prescribed by physicians. Numerous patients who have been using Lipitor to decrease bad cholesterol levels in their blood have attested that it is indeed effective. However, one very common remark about the drug is its expensive cost. Lipitor, which is the brand name of Atorvastatin, has been formulated by Pfizer. Everybody knows that Pfizer is a popular pharmaceutical company which provides quality drugs. This is one reason why the price of Lipitor is sky high.
Because of the problems related to the medication’s cost, manufacturers have now formulated a generic for Lipitor. The generic Lipitor is known to be sold in much lower prices while providing effects and benefits equal to that provided by the branded Lipitor. It contains same amounts of materials and compounds which can be effective to treat high cholesterol levels. The generic for Lipitor also increases HDL or good cholesterol levels while decreasing LDL and triglyceride levels. LDL’s and triglycerides which have lodged into the coronary artery and other blood vessels are the most common factors leading to Coronary Artery Disease and many heart problems. When these two harmful compounds also lodge into the insulin receptors of the cells, it often results to insulin resistance, which eventually leads to the development of Type II Diabetes Mellitus.
How Lipitor Works
The action of the generic Lipitor is almost the same as that of the branded Lipitor. Generally, the medication works by blocking HMG-CoA reductase, the enzyme responsible for the production of cholesterol in the liver. By preventing HMG-CoA reductase production, LDL and triglyceride levels gradually decrease, leading to breakdown of the LDL’s and triglycerides which has lodged into the blood vessels and cell receptors. This process leads to improvement of the overall health condition of the patient.
For more information on how to get low cost generic lipitor, 100% safe and secure click here.
Lipitor Side Effects
Although manufactured for therapeutic purposes, the branded as well as the generic Lipitor has certain side effects and adverse reactions. These are usually associated with the fact that they work on inhibiting an enzyme which is naturally produced by the body. Cholesterol is generally needed by the body for the maintenance of certain processes but due to excessive intake of food high in fats, the cholesterol levels increase to a significantly unhealthy amounts. The side effects of Lipitor or Atorvastatin is usually gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal in nature and adverse effects which requires immediate medical attention are those related to the nervous system functioning.
Why Generic Lipitor is Good News
To the many users of the branded Lipitor, the formulation of the generic Lipitor is great news. You can have the same health benefits and expect the same side effects with a price that is so much lower than the branded version. Physicians also confirm the generic Lipitor’s efficiency and are prescribed by many doctors who advocate for lower medication expenses.
Attaining health at a much lesser cost is invaluable. Lipitor in its generic form is not just good news but a great help.
Along with proper diet and exercise, Lipitor or otherwise known as Atorvastatin can help in making the body lose weight and decrease bad cholesterol levels. The medication has been used not just by individuals who are suffering from conditions as a result of high cholesterol levels but even by those who simply want to lose fats or excess weight. Because of its popularity, the generic formulation of Lipitor, which is often sold in lower prices, has been manufactured. However, there have been a lot of controversies regarding the generic Lipitor. Many have asked whether the generic form is the same as the branded product or if there are any generic Lipitor side effects. With this in mind, it is very important for you to understand certain facts about the generic Lipitor before you choose to purchase it.
The generic Lipitor
When the news about the manufacture and distribution of generic Lipitor was announced, one common question was formulated – Will it be as effective as the branded Lipitor?
Lipitor has been manufactured by Pfizer as a brand for Atorvastatin. The generic Lipitor is then also known as Atorvastatin, which belongs to the drug classification “Statins”.
Based on findings, physicians have confirmed that the formulation and the materials used in the generic Lipitor is the same as that of the branded one. The branded Lipitor works in decreasing blood cholesterol levels by blocking a certain enzyme in the liver which breaks down fats into cholesterol and low density lipoprotein. This allows better conversion of fats into good cholesterol which is healthy for the heart and the other body organs. The mechanism of action of the branded Lipitor is made possible by its chemical content which is the same as the content of the generic Lipitor. This means that the action of the generic and branded Lipitor is the same and alike.
Generic Lipitor Side Effects
Because they are made of the same components, the Atorvastatin side effects and the Lipitor side effects are almost the same. These side effects are usually expected as a result of the drug metabolism but in rare cases, side effects may be serious. The expected generic Lipitor side effects are the following:
-Hoarseness of voice
These side effects do not usually require you to consult medical consultation unless they are in severe forms or are causing terrible discomfort. Rare side effects of the medication which you need to report to the doctor include the following:
-Changes in urine color and frequency
-Edema, weight gain, loss of appetite
-Clay-colored stool or changes with stool color
-Jaundice or yellowish discoloration of the eyes
-Unexplained weakness and tiredness
Generic Lipitor Prescription
Just like Lipitor, the generic Lipitor requires a physician’s prescription. It is a kind of drug which should only be used in certain health conditions and is contraindicated in many disorders. Before taking the medication, it is very essential to consult a physician for safety purposes.
The formulation of the generic Lipitor is good news to many Lipitor users since it is sold in lower prices. However, you should make sure that the product you purchase is authentic so you can expect therapeutic effects.
1. Lower Cholesterol Levels- A generic for Lipitor will lower your blood cholesterol levels the same as the name brand medication in almost every case. A few individuals in the population may react differently, and this is true with any drug ever manufactured, but most patients will see their cholesterol levels drop on the generic version similar to the drop seen with the name brand version.
2. Less Expense Each Month- Generic drugs are typically preferred because these medications offer the same drug action and health benefits but without the higher cost that name brand drugs carry. For the first set number of years after a pharmaceutical company patents a medication there is no generic form of the drug available. This allows the patent holder to recoup the research and development costs involved in creating and manufacturing the name brand version of the medication. Once the initial patent exclusivity has passed then other drug companies can offer generic versions and these cost less for consumers.
3. Highly Effective- The generic for Lipitor is highly effective for most patients who need to lower their cholesterol. Lipitor is the best selling drug and the #1 moneymaker for Pfizer Pharmaceuticals to date. Almost 9 million people in the world took this drug on a daily basis until a generic version was allowed towards the end of 2011.
4. Better Health- When the generic form of the drug Lipitor is taken it can actually lead to better health. The generic drug costs less, and this means that there is more money available for other things instead. Many individuals who take drugs to lower cholesterol levels are older and these patients are often on a fixed income due to retirement or medical conditions. Spending less on a brand name drug may mean more money available for healthier foods instead.
5. Identical Active Ingredients- Any generic for Lipitor will have identical active ingredients as the name brand version of this medication. There may be a few minor differences in the inactive ingredients that are used in the generic version but the main components and drug action of the generic medication will be the same.